What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?
Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a software platform built for fast development of database-driven web applications. It is a Rapid Application Development (RAD) tool, which requires only a Web browser installed for productive work.
Oracle Application Express has multiple built-in, free and ready-to-use business applications dedicated to various departments within organization. These applications (so called “packaged applications”) can be used right from the start to improve / automate company’s processes or can be used as a base for more advanced business solutions. Among those ready-to-use apps you will find: CRM (customer & contact management), Project Management, Innovation Management, Incident Management, HRMS, Reporting System and many others.
Oracle APEX is a cloud-native platform, so it is a perfect pick if you want to use it for cloud development with proven Oracle technologies. It is available with every Oracle cloud offering involving an Oracle Database (even the most basic one – Database Schema Service). You will find more information on Oracle’s site dedicated to database in the cloud – Oracle Cloud.
If you would like to try Oracle APEX out you can do this with just a few simple steps at this location: https://apex.oracle.com/en/. Request a workspace, then select if you would like to develop your own application or test out one or more of the packaged applications.
Typical Oracle APEX use-cases
- migration of file / e-mail based processes (like shared Excel for commissioning process) to a Web application
- building of advanced analytic applications with advanced charting and reporting with seamless Business Intelligence tools integration (e.g. Oracle BI Publisher, Jasper Reports)
- creation of Web User Interface for database applications with business logic built with PL/SQL (packages, procedures, function) which did not have an UI in the first place
- migration of Oracle Forms based applications to a Web application for easier application management and development, UI&UX update to contemporary standards
Oracle APEX is characterized by low entry cost as it is a no-cost option of each Oracle database version, even the free Oracle XE. If you already have available licenses for any version of the Oracle database in your organization, then you also have a fully supported by Oracle license for Oracle APEX.
Contact us to talk about Oracle APEX solutions!
Pretius Oracle APEX experience
Pretius is a pioneer in Poland as far as Oracle Apex-based application development is concerned. We have an experienced team of Oracle DB & Oracle APEX experts whose members remember the days when Apex was still called HTML DB. Currently we work with the latest APEX 4.2.x/5.0.x releases and Oracle Rest Data Services.
Our APEX Team has built ~50 applications using the technology and integrated it with most corporate solutions like: Single Sign On systems, Web Services, Microsoft Active Directory and more. The team also creates Oracle Apex Plugins and Web browser extensions which improve the experience of working with the platform or enhance it with even more advanced features.
Our team members are active member of the APEX community, taking part in conferences (both as speakers and attendees), sharing knowledge (e.g. on our blog) and building community integrating solutions (like http://translate-apex.com project). Our partnership with Oracle (we are an Oracle Gold Partner) and FOEX (we are a FOEX Silver Partner) are confirmations of our commitment to delivery of advanced business applications using Oracle APEX platform.
If you would like to know more about our team’s achievements or use our APEX free products then visit the links below:
- http://translate-apex.com – a repository of Oracle APEX translations, created & maintained by Pretius. You will find close to 40 translations for various versions of APEX (3.x, 4.x, 5.x), including (among others) Dutch, Arabic, Russian, Swedish & Polish. The translations are provided by Oracle APEX community (Pretius provided Polish & Arabic). Our platform has been recognized as one of most interesting endeavors of 2015 in APEX community by Mr. Joel Kallman, Director of Software Development, Oracle in his yearly summary
- http://www.slideshare.net/Pretius- presentations that allow to get to know better the key features of Oracle APEX & real-life use-cases / case-studies
- http://apex.pretius.com – our dedicated sub-page for Oracle APEX plugins
- Portfolio (downloadable as PDF) – our APEX Team project approach & reference projects
Our APEX Plugins
Pretius Help text tooltip
Pretius APEX Date range
Pretius APEX Enhanced notifications
Pretius APEX Nested Reports
Dynamic action plugin Oracle APEX 5.x
Pretius APEX Enhanced Modal
Pretius APEX Enhanced LOV item
The plugin is dedicated to use with tabular forms. It implements functionalities of “Pretius APEX Enhanced LOV item” APEX item plugin within tabular forms textfields. Bussiness user are allowed to use autocomplete and modal dialog list of values in tabular forms.Dynamic Action plugin Oracle APEX 4.x, 5.x
Pretius APEX Client Side Validation
The plugin is dedicated to validate APEX items according to defined APEX item validations on browser side – without submitting the form.Dynamic action plugin Oracle APEX 4.x, 5.x
Pretius APEX Enhanced LOV item
The plugin is Oracle APEX item plugin providing new functionalities within text fields. Basing on APEX list of values the plugin allows to pick values from autofilter and modal popup. The settings of autofilter, popup dialog and others can be configured with 14 the plugin attributes.APEX item plugin Oracle APEX 4.x, 5.x